[MPlayer-users] Re: RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

Wayde Milas wmilas at rarcoa.com
Wed Jun 9 17:46:03 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 05:19, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> Wayde Milas wrote:
>
> > Take someone, put them infront of a good pair of speakers and amp (note,
> > good != expensive, althought hats often the case) and I gurantee 9 out
> > of 10 are going to pick a clean 44.1 khz 16 bit signal over a 96k vorbis
> > one.
>
> I guarantee you they will not be able to.  At least not in a doubleblind
> test.  Of course at 96k some will be able to pick it out, but surely not
> 9 out of 10.

Unless we run the test we will never know :)

> In the aforementioned c't test
> (German: http://www.heise.de/ct/00/06/092/default.shtml)
> they were comparing 128kbit mp3 and 256kbit mp3 agains cd on
> in a hifi studio with B&W Nautilus 803, Marantz CD14 and Marantz PM14
> plus a Sennheiser Orpheus and matching tube amplifier.
> >From the 14 test-persons 8 were unable or barely able to hear
> differences.  The winner of this test had really bad hearing after an
> accident with explosives and because this makes him not fit the
> psycho-acoustic model he was very good at picking out 128kbit mp3.

This is the german test not the hydrogen audio test. This is a real
test. Thats GOOD equipment.

I don't like the way the results are put though. 8 were unable or barely
able. So how many actually could hear the difference? At least 6 out of
14, and possibly alot more.

Also the test was 128k mp3 against 256k mp3. I bet if they did it with
128k mp3 agains raw 16 bit 44.1k (raw cd) there would be alot more that
would hear the difference.

> > The parallel to the video world is like trying to look for artifacts
> > that mencoder produces on a 13 inch black and white tv. You just arent
> > going to see them.
>
> That's a very different thing.  The video world doesn't use
> sophisticated psycho-acoustic models like in audio and is not
> really comparable.

Ok, you got me there. But I was trying to draw a rough parallel.