[MPlayer-users] RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jun 9 18:46:52 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 10:21:57AM -0500, Wayde Milas wrote:
> > So unless you are watching the movie with your eyes closed, intensely
> > listing for artifacts on your $10000 speaker system, you probably
> > won't hear a difference. I say probably because I have to allow for
> > the fact that there will be cases where some people will hear
> > differences more easily. But those will remain rare cases.
>
> This is completely subjective.

All lossy compression is. This is completely aside from the point.

> I assert that you WILL hear the
> difference on gear in the $3000 range.

Tests suggest otherwise.

> Not only that, the tests used
> make no mention of the gear used so I can't compare my setup to the
> listning test setup. Thus the tests are completely useless.

Then do your own tests. I'm sick of self-proclaimed audiophiles
whining about theoretical considerations and trying to prove they're
superior without any empirical evidence to back it up.

> $3000 range is not stupid.

Yes it is.

> Some people spend that just on thier hdtv
> set.

They're even more stupid.

Rich