[MPlayer-users] Bug in pullup and filmdint? (Uploaded samples)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jun 9 19:22:31 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 12:29:37PM -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> I've come across a scene in a movie I ripped using -vf pullup,softskip
> where panning is very jerky.  -vf filmdint also causes problems.  There
> are many scenes with this kind of panning in the movie, but only a few
> of them are jerky like this.
>
> The movie appears to be entirely 24fps progressive, but according to the
> man page, pullup handles this, so presumably it should have just left
> things untouched since this scene isn't telecined.
>
> I've uploaded 3 files:
>
> IAS_clip_dvd.avi:
>    mencoder  dvd://1 -nosound -ovc copy -ss 2375 -frames 350 -ofps 23.976 -o IAS_clip_dvd.avi
>
> IAS_clip_pullup.avi:
>    mencoder IAS_clip_dvd.avi -vf pullup,softskip,crop=720:464:0:4,hqdn3d=2:1:2 -ofps 23.976 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vqscale=2:v4mv:mbd=2:trell:autoaspect:vmax_b_frames=1 -o IAS_clip_pullup.avi
>
> IAS_clip_filmdint.avi:
>    mencoder IAS_clip_dvd.avi -vf filmdint,crop=720:464:0:4,hqdn3d=2:1:2 -ofps 23.976 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vqscale=2:v4mv:mbd=2:trell:autoaspect:vmax_b_frames=1 -o IAS_clip_filmdint.avi
>
> I realize that capturing a DVD clip this way drops some flags in the
> mpeg2 stream that pullup or filmdint might use (I don't really know,
> just speculating), but the results here are the same whether I transcode
> from IAS_clip_dvd.avi or directly from the DVD.

AFAICT the flags are still there, so that's not the problem. However,
the FPS is bogus because you stored the output in avi with -ofps
23.976. This is causing mencoder's a/v sync code to mess up during the
following two encodes.

Aside from this, filmdint seems to be working perfect. But pullup is
doing something really weird and I can't seem to figure out why...

> The panning in the DVD source for this scene is fine, but when I use
> pullup (or ivtc) it becomes quite jerky.

IVTC does not work with 24 fps progressive source.

> Without pullup (and just -ofps
> 23.976) things are fine.  Since pullup (and filmdint too, I think?) are
> supposed to be able to handle 24 fps progressive, I guess this is a bug.

I agree there seems to be a bug in pullup. The others look fine
though.

Rich