[MPlayer-users] Bug in pullup and filmdint? (Uploaded samples)

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Wed Jun 9 19:58:40 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 13:22 -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> AFAICT the flags are still there, so that's not the problem. However,

It's just that when I play from the DVD, mplayer outputs "demux_mpg:
24fps progressive NTSC content detected, switching framerate" but it
doesn't say that when I play back the AVI I made with -ovc copy.  So I
assumed it ditched those flags when it got put into an AVI.  Maybe not.

> the FPS is bogus because you stored the output in avi with -ofps
> 23.976. This is causing mencoder's a/v sync code to mess up during the
> following two encodes.

I wasn't quite sure how best to do this.  Without specifying -ofps,
mencoder duplicates every 4th frame because the AVI is supposed to be
29.97.  The result is that without -ofps 23.976, IAS_clip_dvd.avi would
have been jerky.

Now, when I run filmdint on the jerky version of IAS_clip_dvd.avi, the
output looks fine, because then it removes every 5th frame that mencoder
added.

When I take the clip from the DVD with -ovc copy -ofps 23.976 and
transcode using pullup/filmdint from that, I get the same results as
transcoding directly from the DVD.

> Aside from this, filmdint seems to be working perfect. But pullup is
> doing something really weird and I can't seem to figure out why...

We must be looking at different files.  Did you transcode with -vf
filmdint yourself, or look at the IAS_clip_filmdint.avi file I uploaded?
The file I uploaded clearly has missing frames (the first 60 frames
seems to be missing about 3 frames), causing the panning to look jerky.
(Though it's not quite as chaotic as pullup.)

> IVTC does not work with 24 fps progressive source.

Sorry, that was a typo.  I meant filmdint.

> I agree there seems to be a bug in pullup. The others look fine
> though.

Not sure about that.  filmdint looks broken too, just not as much.

Cheers,
Jason.