[MPlayer-users] ao-alsa noise...

ephemeron at softhome.net ephemeron at softhome.net
Thu Jun 10 12:52:31 CEST 2004

On 10. June 2004 at 12:18AM +0200,
gabor <gabor at z10n.net> wrote:

> i have an acer800laptop...it has an intel sound chip (users the
> snd-intel8x0 alsa module).
>
> before the alsa1x/alsa9 unification everything went fine.
>
> but now, with the unified 'alsa' driver,
> i sometimes get noises into the video playback...
>
> until now i could not reproduce them easily, but now i can :)
>
> on my laptop i can adjust the brightness of the screen with
> spec-laptop-key+left-arrow and spec-laptop-key+right-arrow.
>
> now: when using the cvs-current mplayer, when a video is
> played, and i play with the brightness, i get a clicking sound
> all the time while the brightness controlling keys are used.
>
> it does not happen with the 'alsa1x' version.
>
> it does not happen if i load oss emulation and use -ao oss

Somebody posted a patch a few days ago.  Basically it changes the
following unique line in {MPLAYER-SOURCE-ROOT}/libao2/ao_alsa.c:

#undef SET_CHUNKSIZE

#define SET_CHUNKSIZE

Try "grep 'def.*SET_CHUNKSIZE' ./libao2/ao_alsa*" to compare the
differences between the alsa9, alsa1x and unified alsa output
drivers. "#define SET_CHUNKSIZE" is in alsa1x.

[...]