[MPlayer-users] Re: RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

Tobias Diedrich ranma at tdiedrich.de
Thu Jun 10 15:36:33 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> Yeah, it's actually amazing how much DVDs suck. BTW for those
> complaining about blocking artifacts and such in their lavc mpeg4
> rips, guess what? The original DVD has blocking too... :(
>
> The solution? Rent the film cans and use professional equipment to
> capture it at hdtv res (or higher) and with 16 bit luma precision,
> then make a new codec that allows 16bit luma... Or just be happy with
> what you've got.

AFAIK mpeg2 does allow up to 10bit dc precision, but with current
hardware/software you are limited to 8bit on input and output...

However I don't know how big the difference between 8 and 10 bit really
is be.

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.2ya.com
German uses a strange mixture of big- and little-endianness: 376 is