[MPlayer-users] RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jun 10 07:02:14 CEST 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 12:18:37AM +0300, Jan Knutar wrote:
> > I completely agree that if you don't have the hardware, an over the
> > top codec just inst worth it. I never tried to say otherwise. This
> > stream at a lower bitrate with no perceived loss. (Damn my spelling
> > is bad).
>
> Exactly, and there will be no perceived loss if you're an average person
> listening to the sound through the builtin speakers of the TV ;-) Heck,
> most people don't really notice if you'd scale down to 352x288 and
> display it on TV. (unless you have unscaled and downscaled next to
> eachother on two separate tv sets)

This is very noticable, even on my crappy early 90s crt tv. Small text
becomes unreadable...

> Obviously, if you have a super hires very large screen in a darkened
> room, with an equally expensive sound setup in sound isolated room, you
> don't want to touch the mpeg2 stream. You probably don't want DVD to
> start with, but something better.

Yeah, it's actually amazing how much DVDs suck. BTW for those
complaining about blocking artifacts and such in their lavc mpeg4
rips, guess what? The original DVD has blocking too... :(

The solution? Rent the film cans and use professional equipment to
capture it at hdtv res (or higher) and with 16 bit luma precision,
then make a new codec that allows 16bit luma... Or just be happy with
what you've got.

Rich