[MPlayer-users] RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Wed Jun 9 23:18:37 CEST 2004

> I completely agree that if you don't have the hardware, an over the
> top codec just inst worth it. I never tried to say otherwise. This
> stream at a lower bitrate with no perceived loss. (Damn my spelling
> is bad).

Exactly, and there will be no perceived loss if you're an average person
listening to the sound through the builtin speakers of the TV ;-) Heck,
most people don't really notice if you'd scale down to 352x288 and
display it on TV. (unless you have unscaled and downscaled next to
eachother on two separate tv sets)

Obviously, if you have a super hires very large screen in a darkened
room, with an equally expensive sound setup in sound isolated room, you
don't want to touch the mpeg2 stream. You probably don't want DVD to
start with, but something better.