[MPlayer-users] MPEG-TS files still out of sync with mencoder (fixed!)

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Fri Jun 11 11:15:56 CEST 2004

> Although now that I think about it, the audio was playing while the
> same frame stayed on screen for 1+ seconds, so I'm not sure why this
> behaviour should happen - I could understand if the picture jumped
> forward in time, but why it keeps the same frame on screen when others
> are available I'm not sure...

Well, I think I've solved this problem (hooray!)  The -mc option seems
to control it, and when I tested it before I used -mc 10 (thinking that
it could correct a maximum of 10 seconds of 'out-of-sync-ness' per
frame, and thus go back in sync almost instantly) however this seems to
be why I saw the same frame on the screen for almost 10 seconds.  So
trying the opposite way, I used -mc 0.1 and that was *much* better, only
making the video a little jerky.  I tried again with -mc 0.01 and that's
almost perfect!  It only seems to drop a couple of frames, and in some
cases you'd hardly know it went out of sync as it has been corrected
almost instantly.

At any rate, it seems that this encodes all the episodes perfectly which
is most pleasing :-D  I'm still doing the first encode without audio,
but so far everything seems to be in sync - I think the demuxer is more
likely to pick up the errors before the audio/video decoder, so the
audio doesn't have to be decoded to work out whether it's in sync or
not.

Cheers,
Adam.