[MPlayer-users] Stills and sound from DSC MPEGs

Johan Vromans jvromans at squirrel.nl
Mon Jun 21 16:53:03 CEST 2004

Hi,

Sorry if these are FAQs, but several hours of Googling did not help.

1. My digital camera (Sony DSC V1) can produce short MPEG movies. For
   cataloging, I'd like to extract a still image from the movie, for
   example, the first image. I'm sure mplayer/mencoder can do this,
   but I haven't been able to find out how.

2. The camera can also produce 'voice' images. These are MPG files
   containing a still image and some seconds of sound. I'd like to
   extract the sound as an MP3 file. I can use 'mplayer -dumpaudio'
   but this will give an MP2 file (that I can reencode to MP3
   afterwards). Is there a better way, i.e., that extracts to MP3
   directly?

Thanks in advance,

       Johan