[MPlayer-users] 3 tv-tuner cards in one computer (burglar camera system)

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux at peaktime.be
Mon Jun 28 11:34:04 CEST 2004

Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:

> I know this might be not the best place to ask,

The best place would be the v4l mailing list, see

> but anyway: is it
> possible to plug in 3 pci tv tuner cards, capture video from them,
> encode and store it in realtime? I see no problems with encoding &
> storing, but I wonder if capturing process takes a lot of system
> resources. Something like half-resolution, 3 fps will do.
>
> Do I need cards with hardware mjpeg compression? Or any cheap avermedia
> card on bt8?? chip will do?

With an off-the-shelf P4/3GHz and cheap BT878 boards we routinely grab
and encode 2 streams at half-size, full 25fps (PAL), MPEG-1. 3x3 fps
should be a piece of cake.

However, if you want audio, you usually need an audio baord per channel
as well.

Also note: at 3 fps you could use one of these boards with 1 BT but 4
switched inputs. Then the system could scale up to 16 or more channels.

HaND,
--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles