[MPlayer-users] Cache limit...

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Jun 30 12:17:07 CEST 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:54:43 +0300
Jan Knutar <jknutar at nic.fi> wrote:

> You've probably got atleast syslog and cron that touches the disk.

Syslog really doesn't have anything to write...  I disable cron on most
machines, especially notebooks.

> Gaim might be writing to its logs.

Nope.

>  Simply accessing the start menu of Gnome or KDE will trigger reads,

Why would I access the start menu while watching a movie?

> In a modern OS, there's over a hundred things that touch the disk in
> one way or another.

Umm... no.  Not unless "modern OS" means some bloated Linux distro with
everything installed and running...

I can look through the output of "ps -ax" and assure you that I don't
have anything running (other than what's been mentioned) that needs to
access the disk.  XF86 doesn't access anything while it's up and
running, my window manager baely ever accesses the disk, and certain not
when it's just idle.  My file manager doesn't access the disk when it's
idle in the background, etc.