[MPlayer-users] Cache limit...

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Wed Jun 30 10:54:43 CEST 2004

> Only speaking for myself, there is nothing else spinning up the drives
> but the videos I'm playing.  The few things I'm doing in the
background
> (eg GAIM) don't touch the disk.

You've probably got atleast syslog and cron that touches the disk. Gaim
might be writing to its logs.  Simply accessing the start menu of Gnome
or KDE will trigger reads, which will touch the access time, which will
be pushed to disk at one point or another.

In a modern OS, there's over a hundred things that touch the disk in one
way or another.

The laptop-mode for Linux helps a bit, but the default in that is to
push all changes to disk every 10 minutes if not forced to do it
earlier due to memory pressure.