[MPlayer-users] Cache limit...

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Jun 30 22:27:59 CEST 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 03:20:33 -0700
rcooley <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:

> Not just Linux...  FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Darwin, Solaris, and
> > > absolutely any other OS MPlayer runs on.
> >
> > Not necessarily...
>
> Yes, necessarily.  I don't run Linux on any but one of my machines,
> and it's not my notebook.

Not necessarily, no.

but I wasnt trying to start an OS flamewar, so quit be adversarial about
it will you? Who said only linux? not I.

> > Yes, but it does allow the cache to be kept to a sensible size.
>
> Uh huh.  And you think that having that 64MB limit in MPlayer is
> better than no limit at all.  Can you possibly justify that?

Sure. its architecturally redundant. the purpose of mplayers cache is to
keep a few frames present in order to mitigate streaming delays. its not
there to duplicate the functionality of the OSes buffer cache.

To look at it another way... would you rather every program you might
use whilst having the harddisc spun down developed its own way to buffer
data in RAM, or would you rather that OS facilities got used to do this in a
general manner?

I can assure you that unless programs place limits like this one on
their functionality, people will be lazy enough not to develop the
required code in the correct places.