[MPlayer-users] mencoder: increasing bitrate doesnt increasequality or filesize...why?

Adam Rice adamrice at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 1 22:03:36 CET 2004

Quoting Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski (dominik at rangers.eu.org):
> Don't you get the impression that you're doing something massively stupid?
> It'd already been explained several times, that if the codec has already
> reached its maximum quality, increasing bitrate won't make any difference.

Doesn't it strike you as odd that mencoder can't manage a bitrate much above
1kbps? It seems unlikely to me that the "maximum quality" for MPEG4 would be
less than the maximum quality for MPEG2. I was under the impression that MPEG4
was MPEG2 plus some extra tricks for handling lower bitrates.

Of course, if the quality of mencoder's 1kpbs file was perfect it wouldn't
matter, but in my tests I haven't even managed to achieve DVD quality with
mencoder.

> Geez, where do you people get these ideas anyway?

Hmmm... possibly by seeing files with higher quality produced by other
software?

Adam

--
Adam Rice -- adamrice at ntlworld.com -- Blackburn, Lancashire, England