[MPlayer-users] mencoder: increasing bitrate doesnt increasequality or filesize...why?

Wayde Milas wmilas at rarcoa.com
Mon Mar 1 22:34:52 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 15:03, Adam Rice wrote:

> Doesn't it strike you as odd that mencoder can't manage a bitrate much above
> 1kbps? It seems unlikely to me that the "maximum quality" for MPEG4 would be
> less than the maximum quality for MPEG2. I was under the impression that MPEG4
> was MPEG2 plus some extra tricks for handling lower bitrates.
>
> Of course, if the quality of mencoder's 1kpbs file was perfect it wouldn't
> matter, but in my tests I haven't even managed to achieve DVD quality with
> mencoder.
>
> > Geez, where do you people get these ideas anyway?
>
> Hmmm... possibly by seeing files with higher quality produced by other
> software?
>
> Adam

Setting q=2 on ANY comerical movie DVD will generate a bit rate
generally higher than 4kbps. This is assuming an unscaled, uncropped
bitstream with an original MPEG2 8kbps or larger bitstream.

Either you arent using the mpeg4 codec, you are mangling the bitstream
via scaling or cropping to a very small size, or you are doing something
seriously wrong with your encoding options.