[MPlayer-users] realplayer files on the web: rm, ram, mov

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Mar 3 18:23:38 CET 2004

Roberto Togni wrote:

> On 2004.03.02 23:43, gilles at harfang.homelinux.org wrote:

>>> [...]
>>> mplayer -playlist <url>
>>> Ciao,
>>> Roberto
>>
>> Is it possible to use mencoder similarly, i.e. in order to save on
>> disk streaming media?  When I replace "mplayer" by "mencoder" in
>> the above command, it says that "playlist" is not an "mencoder"
>> option.
>
> You don't use mencoder to save streams. Use MPlayer with -dumpstream
> option (there's also an option to give it a name different from
> stream. dump, check the man page).

Yes, but what I think he wants to do is encode directly from the
incoming stream, rather than dedicate disk space to the as-sent version
of the stream.

If you download the tiny "playlist" file directly, and look inside it
with a text editor, you will probably see a different URL pointing
directly to the actual video file; MEncoder *might* be able to handle
that URL and encode properly, but as I've never tried it and honestly
don't know the source I can't say for certain.

--
       The Wanderer