[MPlayer-users] Re: building mplayer 1.0pre3

Tobias Diedrich ranma at gmx.at
Thu Mar 4 01:49:52 CET 2004

The Wanderer wrote:

> A quick look at the source seems to confirm that what I get is, indeed,
> not "runtime CPU detection"; since I've never specified my CPU when
> compiling, this would seem to indicate that runtime CPU detection is not
> the default. For that matter, now that I think of it:

OK, you are right, but it still does runtime MMX/SSE etc. detection even
with runtime cpu detection disabled AFAICS.
With --with-runtime-cpudetection it uses -march=i486 -mcpu=i686, so in
theory it should work with nearly any x86 cpu except i386.

FWIW a athlon-xp mplayer worked just fine on my Pentium III last time I
tried it (AFAIK gcc doesn't use any instructions above Pentium Pro level,
but I'm not sure about that).

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.2ya.com
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits.