[MPlayer-users] Re: building mplayer 1.0pre3

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Mar 4 01:33:31 CET 2004

Tobias Diedrich wrote:

> Enrico Weigelt wrote:

>> e) is it possible to specify which CPU should be supported ? (i.e.
>>    to support builds for other targets)
>
> Runtime CPU autodetection is default.

??

I've never specified the CPU to build for, that I recall, and MPlayer
has always been compiled by default with the -march=athlon-4 and
-mcpu=athlon-4 flags, which unless I'm far off target optimize the
binary for a specific CPU and thus wouldn't seem compatible with runtime
CPU detection.

A quick look at the source seems to confirm that what I get is, indeed,
not "runtime CPU detection"; since I've never specified my CPU when
compiling, this would seem to indicate that runtime CPU detection is not
the default. For that matter, now that I think of it:

==
wanderer at pegasus:~/text/src/cvs/mplayer/main$ ./configure --help | grep cpu
   --enable-runtime-cpudetection    Enable runtime CPU detection [disable]
==

indicating that runtime CPU detection is disabled by default.

My, I feel verbally redundant...

In answer to the original question: unless the configure option
'--target=PLATFORM' (mentioned in the configure help) does what you
want, the answer appears to be "no".

--
       The Wanderer