[MPlayer-users] Sound distorted

Steven M. Schultz sms at 2BSD.COM
Fri Mar 5 06:59:17 CET 2004

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Bas Nedermeijer wrote:

> i recently installed SuSE9 and compiled mplayer. When i now play a mpeg file,
> the sounds is distorted, it seems like the high tones are amplified or
> something. The sound is really annoying. I tried uninstalling some mp3-libs

	I have noticed the same thing myself.  The sound is very distorted,
	the high frequencies seem to be boosted considerably and make a
	'chirping'/'twittering' sound.

	If I play the .mp2 audio file (using mpg123) the sound is fine.

> fine. When playing avi files the sound is also OK. It only seems to occur
> when playing mpg-files. It is reproducable on mplayer-0.92, mplayer-1.0pre3
> and current-cvs. What am i missing? Which lib is responsible for decoding the

	.avi and .mp4 files play fine (using either MP3 or AAC audio).
	Only .mpg files seem to have the distorted audio (I've tried the
	current-cvs on a couple different systems - one Athlon/MP and the other
	a P4/Xeon).

	Steven Schultz