[MPlayer-users] Re: Sound distorted

Tobias Diedrich ranma at gmx.at
Fri Mar 5 14:22:08 CET 2004

Bas Nedermeijer wrote:

> i recently installed SuSE9 and compiled mplayer. When i now play a mpeg file,
> the sounds is distorted, it seems like the high tones are amplified or
> something. The sound is really annoying. I tried uninstalling some mp3-libs
> from the SuSE distro and compiling some myself, but it didn't help. The movie
> player which is supplied w/ SuSE/KDE(kaffeine) seems to play these files just
> fine. When playing avi files the sound is also OK. It only seems to occur
> when playing mpg-files. It is reproducable on mplayer-0.92, mplayer-1.0pre3
> and current-cvs. What am i missing? Which lib is responsible for decoding the
> sound w/ mpeg files?

This is a know Problem with SuSE's version of the gcc C-Compiler.
Please try using an older Version of gcc or recompile gcc from official
gnu sources.  You can work around the problem by using libmad to decode
mp2/mp3 instead of mp3lib.  To do that, you can select libmad with -ac
mad or copy etc/codecs.conf to ~/.mplayer/codecs.conf and move the
libmad entry in front of the mp3lib entry.

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.2ya.com
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits.