[MPlayer-users] concatenate mpegs

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux at peaktime.be
Fri Mar 5 11:35:53 CET 2004

Ville Saari wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 11:41:23AM +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>

>>Concatenation will only work *well* under 2 conditions:

>>(2) The timestamps form a coherent sequence.
>

> Many (or most) DVD:s don't fullfill that condition. To my experience
> only a small minority has a contiguous time code throughout the whole
> movie.

[snip]

> The problem was that mplayer needs a time code to synchronize the
> subtitles with. The mpeg2-stream on DVD was apparently concatenated
> from several dozens of small clips that each had their own time code.
> So the time code was reset to zero every few minutes.

As I wrote, without coherent timestamps most things work most of the
time, but nothing will work *well*. That's why I decided in the basic
design of my capture applications, to require true timestamps and true
timecodes (I have to patch the video stream out of lavc to have the
latter, and some rather contorted logic to preserve the coherence of
timestamps when the system clock, video sync, and audio clock, drift or
jump apart).

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles