[MPlayer-users] dvd video format question

Aaron Peterson aaron at alpete.com
Fri Mar 5 14:35:10 CET 2004

I've read the man page and know enough to watch avi, divx, dvd with
mplayer and how to use mencoder to take dvd video to ffmpeg or xvid, blah
blah.  not that hard right?  I am no video guru (if that isn't obvious by
now) and I am curious what format of video goes on a dvd.  if i understand
what i've read correctly, this is mpeg1 or mpeg2?  are there any other
considerations for creating dvd video, and how can I use mencoder to take
an avi to a format that i could burn on a dvd?  Perhaps off topic, but any
information i could get about creating the other non-video files that go
on a dvd would be appreciated too.  Suggestions and explaination are very
welcome.  Of course, RTFM is acceptable too if anyone can point me to some
good reading on this subject. (links, books, etc...)

Thanks,
Aaron