[MPlayer-users] dvd video format question

Nico nsabbi at tiscali.it
Fri Mar 5 14:56:22 CET 2004

Aaron Peterson wrote:

>I've read the man page and know enough to watch avi, divx, dvd with
>mplayer and how to use mencoder to take dvd video to ffmpeg or xvid, blah
>blah.  not that hard right?  I am no video guru (if that isn't obvious by
>now) and I am curious what format of video goes on a dvd.  if i understand
>what i've read correctly, this is mpeg1 or mpeg2?  are there any other

both codecs (mpeg1 and mpeg2) can go on a dvd; the format must be mpeg-ps.
Mencoder can generate mpeg files, but this is only the beginning:
target files must follow cerrain restrictions (frame dimensions, GOP
length, VBV size, max bitrate and many others),
then  you have to remux these files with mplex or dvb-mplex to add Nav
packets and then add them to
a dvd structure by an authoring  program such as dvdauthor.

Search the archive of this ML and you will find all the answers.

>considerations for creating dvd video, and how can I use mencoder to take
>an avi to a format that i could burn on a dvd?  Perhaps off topic, but any
>information i could get about creating the other non-video files that go
>on a dvd would be appreciated too.  Suggestions and explaination are very
>welcome.  Of course, RTFM is acceptable too if anyone can point me to some
>good reading on this subject. (links, books, etc...)

Afaik www.mpucoder.com has an archive of DVD docs, but you have to pay
to know (unacceptable for me).

        Nico