[MPlayer-users] Displaying real bitrate of a DVD stream without playing whole stream?

Noel Llopis llopis at verizon.net
Mon Mar 8 19:46:43 CET 2004

On Sunday 07 March 2004 10:18 pm, Adam Rice wrote:

> It's a bit of a hack, but try
>
> mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -o /dev/null dvd://42
>
> (replace 42 with the number of the main title; lsdvd
> (not part of mplayer; Google is your friend) is useful to find this).
>
> It seems to run as fast as the DVD drive can manage. I can't vouch for the
> veracity of the numbers it gives; anyone else care to comment?

Many thanks, Adam!

That's certainly the closest I've managed to get so far. I tried it with a
couple of DVDs and mencoder does indeed go through the whole stream as fast
as possible (about 8 minutes for a full movie in my 2.8 GHz computer) and
display an average bitrate for both video and audio at the end.

It would be nice to have a bit more information like min, max, and stddev, but
it's a start.

However, I'm a bit concerned about the accuracy of the bitrate reported. I
tried it with some DVDs I had previously measured with BitrateViewer and I
got wildly different numbers (for a DVD that before was reported as having a
bitrate of 9000+ kpbs, I now got 5600 kbps). Can anybody confirm how accurate
the bitrate reported by mencoder is (or is this the wrong mailing list for
that perhaps)?

Thanks.

--Noel