[MPlayer-users] Displaying real bitrate of a DVD stream without playing whole stream?

Adam Rice adamrice at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 8 04:18:25 CET 2004

Quoting Noel Llopis (llopis at verizon.net):
> Is it possible to use MPlayer to display the real bitrate of a DVD stream
> without actually playing the whole stream? I'm looking for a mode that
> processes the stream in the fastest possible way without displaying any
> images, and then just displays the statistics about it.

It's a bit of a hack, but try

mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -o /dev/null dvd://42

(replace 42 with the number of the main title; lsdvd
(not part of mplayer; Google is your friend) is useful to find this).

It seems to run as fast as the DVD drive can manage. I can't vouch for the
veracity of the numbers it gives; anyone else care to comment?

Adam

--
Adam Rice -- adamrice at ntlworld.com -- Blackburn, Lancashire, England