[MPlayer-users] Displaying real bitrate of a DVD stream without playing whole stream?

Noel Llopis llopis at verizon.net
Mon Mar 8 02:19:30 CET 2004

Hello,

I was told that MPlayer might be able to do this, and I was wondering if
anybody could confirm that for me.

Is it possible to use MPlayer to display the real bitrate of a DVD stream
without actually playing the whole stream? I'm looking for a mode that
processes the stream in the fastest possible way without displaying any
images, and then just displays the statistics about it.

Under Windows, I used to use BitRateViewer to do that exact thing, but I
haven't found a Linux app that does exactly what I want. If MPlayer can't do
it but someone knows of an app that can, I'd love to hear from you (either on
the list or privately).

In case you're curious, I'd like to see that information to give some
objective information in DVD reviews (since bitrate is often related to the
quality of a transfer).

Thanks in advance.

--Noel
llopis at verizon.net