[MPlayer-users] Re: mp3 pro for mencoder?

Michael Waters baobabb at rogers.com
Sat Mar 13 02:30:29 CET 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:58 -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 01:00:40AM +0100, Amadeus wrote:
> >
> > This sounds excellent, if I can turn to Vorbis for audio! =)
> >
> > > Please show all the commands you used to make the file.
> >
> > Making the video:
> >
> > i=1
> > for j in /dev/null video.avi; do
> >         cat *.VOB | mencoder \
> >         -sws 2 \
> >         -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:v4mv:trell:vbitrate=700:vpass=$i \
> >         -vop scale=496:288,crop=702:572:10:2 \
> >         -aspect 16/9 \
> >         -nosound \
> >         -o $j -
> > i=2
> > done
> >

> > Making the audio (I wish this step could be optimized using pipes and
> > stdin/stout!):
> >
> > cat *.VOB > full.mpg
> > mplayer full.mpg -aid 128 -ao pcm -aofile audio.wav
> > oggenc -q 5 audio.ogg
>

> Never use cat *.VOB ...
> It's a stupid windows way of doing things. Always use dvd:// syntax to
> encode from dvds. Best is to use the original dvd, but if you INSIST
> on using a copy on hd, use -dvd-device /path/to/vobs along with dvd://
> rather than the *.vob mess.

I use mencoder dvd://  as well.  Depending on encoding options, I know
this will run the dvd drive for hours but I reason that a new dvd drive
is about $40CDN and it doesn't hold gigabytes of data that I'd rather
not lose...  Actually, the drive has been going strong for over two
years and I kinda wish it would die as it's been noisy as hell since I
bought it...

As well as cat *... , '-nosound' is also sure to produce desync.  Use
'-oac copy' so mencoder has something to sync to.  For the merge part,
you can use '-A' to copy only video.

Michael