[MPlayer-users] Re: mp3 pro for mencoder?

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat Mar 13 06:24:04 CET 2004

Michael Waters wrote:
>>Never use cat *.VOB ...
>>It's a stupid windows way of doing things. Always use dvd:// syntax to
>>encode from dvds. Best is to use the original dvd, but if you INSIST
>>on using a copy on hd, use -dvd-device /path/to/vobs along with dvd://
>>rather than the *.vob mess.
>

> I use mencoder dvd://  as well.  Depending on encoding options, I know
> this will run the dvd drive for hours but I reason that a new dvd drive
> is about $40CDN and it doesn't hold gigabytes of data that I'd rather
> not lose...  Actually, the drive has been going strong for over two
> years and I kinda wish it would die as it's been noisy as hell since I
> bought it...

...and you can also use `mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream` if you really want
to copy a title to hard disk before encoding. Just beware that you might
also want to copy over the corresponding ifo file if you plan to encode
with subtitles.

Then your mencoder line would be:
$ mencoder stream.dump -ifo vts_01_0.ifo ......

-Corey