[MPlayer-users] DVD and VCD Newbie Question

Taylor Smith tsmith at tsmithphotos.com
Sun Mar 14 02:05:24 CET 2004

Hey Y'all,
I'm new to MPlayer, but I'm ok with Linux. I recently built the program, it
would only compile w/o MEncoder, but that's another issue and I don't need
it anyway. I've tried playing DVDs and the video isn't slow or lagging
behind the audio, it's just jumpy; it'll lock up for a half second and then
speed forward to "catch up." But no frame goes unplayed, they just vary in
speed. Then normal for a second. This occurs with frame drops, hard frame
drops, or both, on all the available video outputs. Any ideas? I don't get
any error messages.

Second, I tried playing VCDs. The video is fine, but the audio is distorted
and skip-y such that it almost sounds like it's underwater, it's wierd.
Again, tho, no error messages that I can find.

I didn't build with debug. I have played WMAs and DiVX's, and they're great.
I really like the program, it's awesome.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas,
Taylor Smith

PS: I'm using SuSE 9.0, MPlayer 0.92-3.3.1 on a Thinkpad T40. Kernel Version
2.4.21.166. Thanks!!