[MPlayer-users] mencoder video card recommendation

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Mar 24 04:57:33 CET 2004

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 01:36:55PM -0800, Jack wrote:
> D Richard Felker III wrote:

> >>So.  I made some samples, using my bt878 card (a $20 Leadtek Winfast
> >>2000).  You probably can't do much worse than this.   And, except for
> >>some lavcdeint ugliness now and then, I think it looks pretty good.  You
> >>will have to deal with the deinterlacing problem, though, either by
> >>getting a card that does it for you (I have no idea which ones those
> >>would be), or figuring out how to make the deinterlacing filter behave.
> >>If you get that Canopus, hopefully you won't have to deal with this.
> >>

> >No, you just shouldn't deinterlace at all... Either leave it
> >interlaced or just capture a single field. But any of the
> >deinterlacers will produce bogus results. IMO the best is to leave it
> >interlaced and just watch it with pp=lb for now, and then enjoy
> >watching it at 50 or 60fps once G2 is usable. :)
> >
> >Rich

> Actually, I can't watch it at 50/60 fps.... The card is only giving me
> 29 fps.  Not 29.9xxx, 29.0 exactly.  And, a frame-by-frame playback of
> what it gets shows that every single frame is an interlaced frame.  I

There's no such thing as an interlaced _frame_. The two fields of the
pseudo-frame come from two different points in time. Watching it at
50/60 fps means displaying those two fields correctly, at separate
moments in time, like they'd be seen on an interlaced display device,
rather than nonsensically putting them together in pairs that don't go
together.

Since your monitor isn't an interlaced display device (and even if you
put it in interlaced mode, it would be very difficult to sync to the
interlaced refresh with software), the way to do this is to
deinterlace each field to a full frame by interpolating the missing
field. The program "tvtime" does an excellent job of this for live TV
watching, but unfortunately it can't be used for playing movies. G2
will be able to do both.

> It seems like the proper workaround for this is to use -vf lavcdeint.

No, this just drops the framerate in half (and makes nasty ghosts at
the same time). This is a semi-usable workaround since mplayer doesn't
support 50/60fps interlaced playback, but it's not the proper
solution.

> At least, that works for me (-vf dint just doesn't work with this for
> some reason,

vf_dint is totally useless...

> and pp=lb just leaves a echo of everything one frame
> behind).  But, if you don't believe me... here is a 10 second clip with
> lots of horizontal panning.

Yes, but lavcdeint also leaves ghosts. They're just ghosts of the
_outline_ (edgedetected version) of the other field, rather than the
whole image. Look closely and you'll see them. With animation it's
very easy to see.

Rich