[MPlayer-users] Mplayer setup advice needed ...

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Mar 27 11:03:43 CET 2004

Adam Bogacki wrote:

>> Those aren't errors. You don't need codecs.conf or input.conf, and
>> font.desc is only for subtitles.
>>
>> As for why it's not working: *.ram are usually text files
>> containing a url to play from. As far as I can tell, mplayer can't
>> parse the ram file, but if you give the url on the command line, it
>> works.
>
> Thanks, but why does it not work when I use the URL (below) ?
>
>> adam at Tux:~$ vi news.ram
>> adam at Tux:~$ mplayer http://www.abc.net.au/broadbandnews/20040323_1400/news.smil

In this case, it's because the .smil file is *also* a playlist. If you
obtain *that* file and look inside, you should (I do) see several
rtsp:// URLs; if you pass those to MPlayer, they should work.

> I don't understand
>
>> Failed to open /dev/rtc: Permission denied (mplayer should be
>> setuid root or /dev/rtc should be readable by the user.)

This means that the pseudo-file which is used to provide access to the
system real-time clock is set to not allow the current user to read it.
Being able to use it can IIRC provide some speedups - how much I don't
know, since I don't have speed problems - but not having access isn't
fatal, it just means you'll get this message every time you play a file.

> or
>
>>> Setting up LIRC support...
>>> mplayer: could not connect to socket
>>> mplayer: No such file or directory
>>> Failed to open LIRC support.

This just means that you have Linux Infrared Remote Control (LIRC)
support compiled in, but some part of either the hardware necessary to
use it or the software necessary to access the hardware is not
available. If you don't want to use LIRC support, then you can ignore
this message; it would be better to either recompile MPlayer without
LIRC support or set up the necessary hardware and software, but it's
perfectly safe to not do so.

--
       The Wanderer