[MPlayer-users] Re: Realaudio dump broken?

alpha0x89 at yahoo.de alpha0x89 at yahoo.de
Sat Mar 27 16:08:14 CET 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Viti Davide wrote:

> Hi,
> I installed a backport of mplayer on my debian woody system; I can
> download a realaudio rstp stream from the bbc using the "dumpstream"
> option but the file I get can be played just within mplayer... If I try
> to open it with realplayer nothing gets played and realplayer seems to
> be waiting forever.
> I searched for something similar on Google
> (http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2003-July/035723.html)
> where I found a message explaining the same problem but without a
> solution; can anyone put some light on this??
>
> Thanx in advance
>
> Davide

I've tested it with

  rtsp://rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk/farm/*/ev7/live24/radio2/live/r2_dsat_g2.ra

The dumped file doesn't play for two reasons:
1. RealPlayer requires the stream duration value in the Media Properties
Header when playing a RealMedia File. But this value is set to 0 for a live
stream.
2. RealPlayer only plays silence when the mime type in the Media Properties
Header is set to "audio/x-pn-multirate-realaudio-live". It has to be replaced
by "audio/x-pn-realaudio".

The appended shell script can be used to convert dumped files into files that
can be played with RealPlayer:

  ./realfix.sh outfile < infile

It can also be used to fix the stream while it is dumped (using bash):

  mkfifo stream.pipe
  ./realfix.sh outfile < stream.pipe &
  mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile stream.pipe rtsp://<URL> &
  MPLAYER_PID=$!
  sleep <SECONDS>
  kill $MPLAYER_PID

The last command ends the recording.