[MPlayer-users] Audio hiccup when violin is playing

Alain Barthélemy cassandre at bartydeux.be
Sun May 2 15:57:29 CEST 2004

Hi,

For fun I ripped "Master & Commander". The result is very good on a standalone
reader except when Russell Crowe (not he really I suppose) startx playing
violin. The audio has then hiccups. The sound signal generated by a violin must
be special. If somebody with musical expertise can explain.

Here is the mencoder's instruction line:

$ mencoder dvd://N -ovc lavc -lavcopts \
vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:vbitrate=1700:acodec=mp3 -oac mp3lame -lameopts \
abr:br=128:mode=0 -vf crop=***:***:***:***,scale -zoom xy 640 -o mymovie.avi

Cropping first detected with cropdetect.

As I have a avi file of a size of about 1400Mb I want to cut it in four parts (to
have the equivalent of 4 chapters) with avisplit -s 350 mymovie.avi
Thus I remux it first to avoid A/V sync problems:
transcode -i mymovie -P1 -N 0x55 -y raw -o out.avi.

My question is: did I do something wrong to have such hiccups when (only when)
violin is playing. Is there something to do to avoid such problems with
sophisticated. With the transcode instruction I may reduce the number of audio
chunks and there may be gaps in the audio threads. I may then forget the
transcode instruction and encode only chapters separately.

Any suggestion or explanation is welcome.

--
Alain Barthélemy
cassandre at bartydeux.be
http://bartydeux.be