[MPlayer-users] Capturing streaming RealVideo.

Jesse W. Asher jasher1 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun May 2 16:23:17 CEST 2004

I've been reading the docs, googling, and reading on the net to try to
figure this out, but haven't had much luck.

I'm trying to use mencoder to capture streaming RealVideo.  I've used
the following command with very poor results:

mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy rtsp://foo.com/stuff.rm -o output.rm

I do get an output.rm file, but the video is horrible (it's really
blocky) and there isn't any audio.  I receive the following when I run
"gmplayer output.rm":

Playing output.rm.
AVI file format detected.
Could not determine number of frames (for absolute seek).
VIDEO:  [RV30]  320x240  24bpp  15.000 fps  -17179870.0 kbps (-2097152.0
kbyte/s)
Clip info:
 Software: MEncoder 1.0pre4-3.2.2
Cannot find codec for audio format 0x6F63.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
Opening video decoder: [realvid] RealVideo decoder
opening shared obj '/usr/local/lib/codecs/drv3.so.6.0'
Selected video codec: [rv30] vfm:realvid (Linux RealPlayer 8 RV30 decoder)
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 320 x 240 (preferred csp: Planar I420)
VDec: using Planar I420 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [xv] 320x240 => 320x240 Planar I420
V:  69.5  1043   4%  4%  0.0% 0 0 0%
Exiting... (Quit)

Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong here?  The real goal is to be able
to capture this flow and convert it into MPEG video on the fly.  But I
couldn't get that to work either (even after reading the docs).

Thanks for any assistance!!