[MPlayer-users] 3 pass encoding: scaling and bitrate

pablo.morales at abitab.com.uy pablo.morales at abitab.com.uy
Tue May 4 21:01:00 CEST 2004

Hi..
Most of the times, what I do most, is not to encode using 2 or 3 passes,
firts, cause I do not have a powerfull CPU, second, have not time.
Because I want good quality stuff, I encode using hi bitrates, 1900 morre
than less and that gives me a file with an average file zise of 1570MB
to fit in two 790MB CD.

Most of the time the secret resides in the scale, I use 576:432 most of
the time, I tried higer resolutions and is worst, ( lots of macroblock
on some scenes ). but it depends on the movie, for example, I encoded
final fantasy using a resolution os 704:XXX, and the quality was just
GREAT, with an average of 1880 bitrate.

If you want to encode in one CD, maybe you'll need trell:cbp

I encode using xvidenc in its simples form without any problem

xvidnecopts bitrate=1800:me_quality=4:4mv, crop=XXXXXX, scale XXXXX
 -sws 7

Bytes..