[MPlayer-users] DVD menus

ephemeron at softhome.net ephemeron at softhome.net
Thu May 13 01:04:20 CEST 2004

On 12. May 2004 at 12:09PM +0200,
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 12 May 2004 at 04:42, ephemeron at softhome.net wrote:
> > On 10. May 2004 at 10:25PM -0700,
> > Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > DVD menus have been a recurring point of mild contention
> > > within the project. Some people say menus are useful and/or
> > > fun, others contend that they are annoying. Personally, I
> > > wish there were menu support for the occasional movie for
> > > which I want to watch the special features; the rest of the
> > > time, I don't miss the menus one bit.
> > >
> > > Once in a while I encounter a really strangely mastered DVD
> > > that has 60 titles and the main feature on title 25 or
> > > something like that.
> >
> > I've encounter one DVD where the trailer was in the menu.
>
> Unlikely. Most probably it was in some other title, like
> dvd://10 or something.

Maybe.  But mplayer would recognize only something like 8 titles,
so I couldn't get to dvd://10 (that is, mplayer doesn't recognize
some of the "tracks" I could extract with vobcopy).  In any case,
mplayer can't play the mpeg of the DVD menu straight from the
DVD, since (apparently) it doesn't recognize the menu as a title.

Many DVDs of big Hollywood movies (Spiderman, Matrix) contain
fancy menus which can't be viewed under mplayer (unless they're
extracted first by vobcopy).  I don't want to actually use the
menus to access the DVD.  I just want to see what's in them,
which I can only do by extracting the menu .vob using vobcopy.