[MPlayer-users] Metadata in the NUT format

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri May 14 23:11:44 CEST 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 10:10:08PM +0200, Hakon Gunsen wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a question about this new NUT format. I'm not a developer
> myself, so I ask it here on mplayer-users.
> I don't know if you are aiming for just audio+video together, or if
> it can as well hold only audio.
> If the latter, I'd like to check this before the spec may be locked.

Of course it can do audio-only, and in fact one of the biggest
benefits of nut over other new containers (ogg and mkv) is that it
actually doesn't suck for audio-only (low overhead and zero latency).
Yes, sadly, ogg sucks really bad even though it was designed for
audio-only.

> What abilities does NUT have to send metadata in a flexible manner
> in live streams?

Info tags can and should be interleaved in the stream for streaming
content. Read the spec for info on them. We might release the first
final spec without really good descriptions of how everything should
be done for info tags, but any new additions to the tagging won't
break playability.

Rich