[MPlayer-users] Mencoder questions

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Sun May 16 23:55:21 CEST 2004

On Sun, 16 May 2004, Jacob Kolding wrote:

> I have some questions about mencoder, first can
> it be used to remove bframes from a xvid file?

Do you mean drop the b-frames without modifying the i- and p-frames?
No, mencoder's frame-dropping isn't that smart.

> and second how do I convert a divx file to xvid?

Why would you want to? DivX and XviD are both mpeg4 codecs, so the
compressed streams they generate are the same format.
(Actually, XviD uses a few features that DivX doesn't, but I don't know of
any programs that can play XviD but not DivX.)

--Loren Merritt