[MPlayer-users] Mencoder questions

Jacob Kolding jacob at omnia.dk
Tue May 18 07:01:17 CEST 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 23:55, Loren Merritt wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2004, Jacob Kolding wrote:
>
> > I have some questions about mencoder, first can
> > it be used to remove bframes from a xvid file?
>
> Do you mean drop the b-frames without modifying the i- and p-frames?
> No, mencoder's frame-dropping isn't that smart.

I don't know what i and p frames are, are they necessary?

> > and second how do I convert a divx file to xvid?
>
> Why would you want to? DivX and XviD are both mpeg4 codecs, so the
> compressed streams they generate are the same format.
> (Actually, XviD uses a few features that DivX doesn't, but I don't know of
> any programs that can play XviD but not DivX.)

The reason why I want to reencode the files is that I own a KiSS DivX
XviD capable DVD player but most DivX files don't play properly, so
I thought I'd try to reencode them and see if that fixes the problem.

A friend of mine mentioned that it seems that the player can't handle
bframes (which I don't know what is) so that why I wanted to remove
them.

/Jacob Kolding