[MPlayer-users] DVD rip sound only

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Nov 24 11:00:15 CET 2004

On Wednesday, 24 November 2004 at 08:52, m. wrote:
> Hi list..
> Is it possible to grab sound only from a DVD using mplayer/mencoder?
> I would like to grab the sound from music DVD and encode it to mp3 so I
> can listen to it in my car :)
> Thanks for your reply..

Hmm... this is beginning to sound like a FAQ, so I'm going to write it
just one last time.

MPlayer-only solution:

$ mencoder -ovc frameno -oac mp3lame -lameopts <your_opts> -o music.avi dvd://N
$ mplayer -dumpaudio -dumpfile music.mp3 music.avi
$ rm music.avi

OTOH, if you already have lame, why not use it?

$ mkfifo encode
$ mplayer -oac pcm -aofile encode dvd://N &
$ lame <your_opts> encode music.mp3
$ rm encode

The latter allows you to use different audio encoders, too.

R.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://greysector.rangers.eu.org/mplayer/