[MPlayer-users] MEncoder: my avi output file has no audio (long)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Oct 2 20:33:35 CEST 2004

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 09:49:10AM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:19:04 -0400
> D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
>
> > 1. encode both passes with -oac copy
> > 2. dump the audio in whatever way you like and encode it with an
> > external program (e.g. lame).
> > 3. remux the new audio into your file.
>
> You don't have to go that far.
>
> After the 2nd pass with -oac copy, you can take the resulting AVI, and
> use "-ovc copy" to copy the video, and just specify audio encoding
> options.  No need to dump the audio, launch a seperate program, and
> re-mux them in hopes it won't end up out of sync.

yes, this will work too. :)
just make sure mencoder's broken a/v sync code doesn't try to skip or
duplicate frames during the -ovc copy phase, since that will ruin the
video... -mc 0 and -noskip might help at that step. (skipping or
duplicating frames when the source is a valid avi file is ALWAYS wrong
so it indicates a bug in mencoder's crappy a/v sync code...)

rich