[MPlayer-users] [BUG] Cannot seek in avi file

Yue Shi Lai ylai at linuxmail.org
Fri Oct 8 20:08:11 CEST 2004

Hi,

> After I apply the patch, the avi created with:
>
> mencoder -ovc copy -o test.avi dvd://1 -aid 128 -oac copy
>
> doesn't play correctly. Audio and video go slowly out of sync.

This is really weird. The patch just changes the labelling to make sure the zero-length chunks are tagged differently. E. g. it does not affect the no. of chunks being generated.

> I need to add the option '-mc .1' to keep the sync.
> Of course I cannot seek.
> After fixing the avi with:
>
> mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -noidx -o new.avi test.avi
>
> I can seek. The seek is better now, but the seek of the video
> doesn't correspond to the seek of the audio. After the seek
> audio and video get completly out od sync.

I think this indicates first that the no. of chunks in your index does not match the actual AVI file. I don't think this should happen just by changing the keyframe flag. It might be possible that there is another bug that gets triggered.

However, since you wrote above that your AVI file get out of sync even without seeking, it appears that the no. of audio and video chunks does not match each other at all. And whatever the tagging in the index might look like, you should not come out of sync as the index is never used if you do not seek.

> I would guess that the patch is not complete.

Possibly. I only intends to fix the wrong logic, but there might be more issues out there. But I thinnk based on your description, it is more likely that you are encounting a problem that is not mainly the issue of the keyframe logic in generating the AVI index, but the way the chunks are generated themselves.