[MPlayer-users] bug report / suggestion

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun Oct 31 09:59:38 CET 2004

Torinthiel wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 08:09:43AM +0100, Joseph Boiteau wrote:
>
>> I'm using mplayer since a while now and there is a feature I still
>> can't understand: when you want to apply a change to a video (like
>> a from fullscreen to window move) during a pause, it automatically
>> restart the video !
>
> WTF??? I've never noticed this behavior, and checked now just to make
> sure. I can happily switch to/from fullscreen, change
> brightness/contrast/... on pause (both fs and nofs) and nothing
> special happenst to playback.

By "restart[s] the video", I think he means "unpauses" - not "starts
over from the beginning". On my system, in at least the case of
fullscreen toggling, that does indeed happen.

The reason MPlayer does this, AFAIR, is that once it has displayed a
frame it no longer has that frame available - so in order to change the
screen image, it needs to get a new frame, which involves unpausing.

It might be possible to make MPlayer, when it does need to do that,
automatically re-pause after just a single frame - but not everyone
would want it to do that, necessarily, and the illusion of 'it didn't
unpause at all' might cause some unfortunate confusion. (Not to mention
that the tiny burst of audio, if not sent to the metaphorical /dev/null
as apparently happens with the current frame-stepping code, would
probably be undesirable.)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.