[MPlayer-users] Seeking in MP4 files

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Sep 3 00:51:38 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:04:10 +0200
Jürg Lehni <lehni at gmx.net> wrote:

> They don't seem to be seekable. Is this just a problem with the way
> I've built mplayer, or is this a general problem? I've tried to find
> something about this on the web but information about MP4 in mplayer
> is very rare.

MP4 is just MPEG-4 video in a slightly modified MOV container.  I'm sure
you can find plenty of info on MOV.

My first recomendation would be to upgrade to the CVS version of
MPlayer.  It's entirely possible this is just a bug that's been fixed
already.

If that doesn't work, compile MPlayer with debugging enabled, and file a
bugreport.

As a quick-fix, you could either try "-sb" instead of "-ss", or just
increase the number of frames (let's say to 30 for example), and delete
all but the last one.