[MPlayer-users] pullup behaves badly on this clip

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Sep 3 01:05:47 CEST 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 03:51:09PM -0400, James Crowson wrote:
> wrt http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2004-September/048060.html
> (sorry for breaking threading, my webmail won't let me set In-Reply-To)...

perhaps try using gmane.org as an interface to the lists...

> I should clarify a bit.  The really bad pattern in the clip I uploaded
> appears only rarely in the source material, in isolated several-second
> bursts.  pullup handles the vast majority of it perfectly well.  So if
> pullup were saner about dropping frames (perhaps it could pass some
> interlaced frames through) I could produce clean 24fps rips with just a
> few second bursts of blended frames every few minutes.  (I can filter out
> occasional interlacing while doing only small harm to true progressive
> material - that's what I intended pp=l5 for - but I can't do anything
> about those frame drops.)

hmmm, i'll see what i can do. it's possible that just configuring some
thresholds a bit differently would make it match the ugly blended
fields. btw some blended fields are already making it through pullup
-- until the pan gets to the tower, it's mostly smooth -- and there's
also a very badly combed frame right when wakaba gets to the right end
of the bridge. actually something crazy is going on there: the video
seems to jump backwards a frame or something, so it's probably totally
messed up in the source.

on the bright side, it's really good to hear that pullup handles most
of the rest just fine! could you provide a short clip where pullup
works but other filters mess up bad? i'd like to see the pattern for
myself sometime.

rich