[MPlayer-users] -ss option time descrepancy

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Sep 11 21:44:16 CEST 2004

On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 09:18:14PM +0200, zikzak at tele2.fr wrote:
> >Hoping to be clear now. I have a avi file I would like to "heal". It means
> >start at second 600 when I type mplayer movie.avi -ss 600 and not at second 400
> >or 300. How to dio it?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >--
> >Alain Barthélemy
>

> Hi,
>
> Try with -ss 00:10:00 to begin after 10 minutes

this will not help. -ss 00:10:00 is exactly the same as -ss 600. the
problem is that mplayer's seeking sucks, but you _cannot_ do correct
seeking in an mpeg file without reading the _entire_ thing from the
start up to the point you want to seek to... :( and of course that
sucks too, because seeking will take 5 minutes or something...

rich