[MPlayer-users] DVD subtitles with Star Wars

Alexander Roalter roalter at cs.tum.edu
Wed Sep 22 12:09:00 CEST 2004

Since the films have come out on DVD this week, I encountered a problem
playing them with mplayer (using the newest pre5 build), as no subtitles
are playable. I only get some subtitles now and then, but not constantly.
The same is also valid for the Indiana Jones movies.

Now I wouldn't bother for this lack of subtitles this much, since I do not
need the subtitles, but for the foreign languages in the flick
(e.h. Huttese) I should very like appreciate some translation.

It seems to me that the event/flag in the VOB stream that triggers the
subtitle to appear is somehow overlooked or missed, but as I said before
this does not happen all the time, for sometimes I get sporadically a
sentence.

when playing I get sometimes a message like this:
SPUasm: invalid frag len / len2: 1845 / 0

IIRC SPU is the internal name for the subtitles, so this would at least
explain a bit the issue, but still these messages appear far to seldom to
make a direct 1:1-relation with the missing subtitles.

Has anyone an idea how to fix this, i.e. to enable the subtitle displaying
(from the VOB stream, I repeat) all the time (or only when forced by the
stream)?

Thanks,
Alex