[MPlayer-users] best parameters to encode for 200kbps?

Ricardo Kleemann ricardo at americasnet.com
Wed Sep 29 07:03:53 CEST 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to find the best combination of options, to encode with lavc
for 200kbps, at 352x240 (quarter ntsc).

I've tried several combinations, but still get very blocky output. I
imagined that lavc with mpeg4 would produce very good quality at 200k.

My current settings are (please correct me if I'm misusing anything)

mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
abitrate=32:vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=200:vhq:v4mv:mbd=2:trell:cmp=3:subcmp=3:mbcmp=3:
autoaspect:vpass=1 -vf hqdn3d,decimate,scale=352:240,pp=de/fq/tn:1:2:3
infile.avi -o outfile.mp4

I tried other combinations, using such parameters as qns=3, nr=20000,
etc... but so far I haven't found a good combination that eliminate the
blocking sufficiently.

Thanks!
Ricardo