[MPlayer-users] burned dvd wont play - what goes wrong

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 13:00:25 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Wednesday 06 Apr 2005 05:16, Bob Davis wrote:
> ... what is the correct way to clone a dvd?

I'd suggest using dvdbackup (from dvd-create.sourceforge.net) to dump the
structure of the DVD to your hard drive (as a directory/file tree), which
also decrypts the VOBs, then using mkisofs -dvd-video .... to remaster it:

dvdbackup -i /dev/dvd -M -o /path/to/save/backup
mkisofs -dvd-video [other options] -o image.iso /path/to/save/backup

Then just burn the image as usual. (I guess you could save a bit of disk space
by piping the image straight into dvdrecord.)

Stephen